When a massive gondola threatened the Colorado river of the Grand Canyon, American Rivers activated their members to stop this serious threat by asking them to sign a petition to stop the project. By sending automated emails when their supporters mentioned “grand canyon” or “national parks”, American Rivers gained 2,500 new petition signers with an impressive 24% petition signature conversion rate.
“The real value is to find out what your supporters are talking about and when it’s top of mind. Give them what they want, when they want it” – Jeff Wiedner, American Rivers
Using social listening in Attentive.ly, American Rivers found that many passionate supporters in their CRM (Blue State Digital), were actively talking about the Grand Canyon on Facebook and Twitter. To find this segment, they simply included the search terms “grand canyon” and “national parks” in Attentive.ly, which pulled list of supporters like the ones below.
American Rivers supporters were talking about the grand canyon on social:
Each time a supporter mentioned “grand canyon”, they were put into a group who received an automated email asking them to sign their petition or share the petition if they already signed. By automating emails based on social mentions, American Rivers sent highly targeted emails asking their supporters to sign their petition within 24 hours of the mention.
- 24% petition conversion rate
- 2,500 new petition signers and 7,000 signers overall
- 0 unsubsribes
- People are talking about your issue on their preferred social networks
- Targeted emails = higher engagement
- Send your CTA when it’s top of mind, not in next month’s newsletter
By syncing their CRM (BSD) with Attentive.ly, American Rivers was able to:
- Know which supporters already signed the petition so they could instead ask them to share the petition.
- Add the grand canyon social mentions into a group which was automatically exported into a BSD group each night.
- Send automated emails from BSD (or Attentive.ly).